Cooper Lake

Location: Owhi Campground, Roslyn, WA

This is a piece of paradise I cannot believe nobody has told me about! So I am now going to tell you! When you're coming down the east side of Snoqualmie Pass, stop for a beer in that quirky little main street of Roslyn, WA, which is infamous for being the town of Cicely, Alaska for the TV show Northern Exposure. Get back on the road and head straight... My mind was blown first by Cle Elum Lake. After all the times I have driven Snoqualmie Pass my eyes were on Keechelus Lake on the right and I had no idea that through the trees, you can see the ginormous Cle Elum Lake on the left. Keep driving past all the cool spots to camp and hang out and just before you hit Salmon Le Sac campground, turn left on NF-46 for Cooper Lake. Zip up this beautifully paved ribbon in the piney smelling woods and then turn right on the gravel road that is nicely signed for Cooper Lake.

First you cross a bridge over the channel that floats out of the lake. Drive on and there is a public boat launch and the Owhi Campground. All of the sites are walk-in, but are very, very close to where you park. I think there are about 20 sites and they are free but with that comes the inability to reserve them. The sites are awesome! They are right on the lake, have great picnic tables and fire pits and are pretty darn big. On a busy day, you will find people camping, fishing, kayaking, and floating the lake. Score a stay during the middle of the week and you will be in absolute paradise.

Float the lake down this channel and have someone pick you up at the bridge.
 
Damn sturdy table.


Just look at how close you are!
My best friend Jessy and I spent an afternoon floating the lake during 95 degree heat and it still took us about twenty minutes to inch our way in. Needless to say the guys fishing next to us had a pretty nice show. That is some DAMN cold water! But once you're in, oh man, the view is one hundred percent gorgeous.
 
The prize view.
The view is of Chimney Rock West. When you turn off the road to head to the campground, you have the option to keep going straight. I didn't have time to explore it but I could tell that there were access points on the left side of the lake and see people hanging out. So...I cannot believe nobody ever told me about this place, but definitely go. You don't even have to hike! Just drive up, and BAM! Paradise.
 
 

Comments