Snowshoeing on Black Friday

REI’s brilliant #optoutside campaign has become more of a competition for the most “instagrammable” Black Friday outdoor excursion. In that spirit, my boyfriend and I borrowed his parents’ brand new MSR snowshoes and finally broke them in up at Mt. Baker Ski Resort. There’s plenty of terrain for snowshoeing and seeing as it was our first time, we just walked around checking things out with no particular route in mind. I guess the only reason I hadn’t been snowshoeing yet is that buying the gear is an intimidating investment if you’re not sure the activity is going to become a favorite—but even that’s a poor excuse, as the nearby Glacier Ski Shop has ridiculously affordable rentals starting at $20, and Costco often sells sets that include snowshoes, matching poles, and a storage bag for less than $80. But if you’re wandering the aisles of a sportsman’s shop and glance at the $300 price tag you typically find on nice snowshoes—yeah, you’re gonna shrug it off.
Last year, I went to a free REI class on "Snowshoeing Basics" thinking I surely needed to know what kind of hobby I was getting myself into; but if you know how to walk, you know how to snowshoe. If you get sad in the winter thinking you’ll never be able to make it through without some quality time in the mountains, then you better snow-sport it up. I've finally learned this lesson: life in the drizzly PNW is much cheerier if you have access to the great outdoors all year long! 
Just like hiking, you get to determine how where, how far, and how hard you want to go. The second time went snowshoeing a month later, we gave the Artist Point trail an official attempt (until we reached too many false “summits” too late in the afternoon and everyone just wanted to get me home because I kept shouting JAMBA JUICE! Cravings, you know.)
The most complicated part of snowshoeing in my mind, is figuring out where to go. The roads and trails you’re used to look completely different covered in snow. I recommend going with a group or with someone experienced; snow is not to be trifled with! Avalanches do happen, so be sure to read all signage indicating danger levels depending on the conditions. There are a few designated snowshoe areas, such as the Salmon Ridge Sno-Park run by the Nooksack Nordic Ski Club, but permits are limited and difficult to get short-notice. You can find more info and forecasts, here. I will no doubt become more informed and picky about potential snowshoe routes as time moves along, so I'll be sure to update. Since I’ve started skiing, though, and have a season’s pass, there’s no competition for what I’m doing on the weekend. I do, however, highly recommend snowshoeing as a relatively affordable, low impact snow activity. 

Comments